Skip to main content

Alexa Says "Your Hue Lights Are Not Responding." What Do I Do?

Alexa not working

 

Last week, I was working away when dusk began to fall. So I asked Alexa to "Turn on Star," and she responded "Your Hue Lights are not responding."  I asked again, to no avail.  Next, I reached for my smartphone, opened the Hue App, and turned on my light that way.  When the light successfully came on, I asked Alexa to turn it off. She again told me "Your Hue Lights are not responding(Alexa not responding)." My Hue and my Echo had stopped communicating with each other.

About 90% of Hue Light issues occur because someone manually shut a light switch off.  So if you ask Alexa to turn on a light, and she responds "Okay" but the light does not come on, try manually switching it on and off until the light illuminates.  Sometimes, manually cycling the light is the only thing you need to do to restore voice control.

 However, Star is a hanging lamp, with the on/off switch physically located behind a heavy piece of furniture. My whole reason for using a Hue Bulb in Star is because the manual switch is almost impossible to reach. So I knew "user error" was not the problem here. It was time to troubleshoot. Was just Star malfunctioning, or was it ALL my Hue Lights?

 I tried to turn on "Bertha," another Hue-equipped lamp. Alexa again told me my Hue Lights were not responding. This helped me determine it was not an issue with a single bulb, but rather with Alexa recognizing my Hue System as a whole.

 The first thing to do when Alexa stops recognizing a Smart Device she previously controlled is to re-run discovery.  The easiest way to do this is by saying "Alexa, discover my devices."  This simple action may restore Alexa control to your Smart Device.  And of course, rebooting your Router and the connected Hue Hub is always the next thing to try.  Most of the time, this will restore Alexa control to your Hue Lights.

 This did not work when it came to Star though.  So the next step in troubleshooting was to open the Alexa app.  Often, toggling a Smart Device on and off using the app is enough to restore Alexa voice control.    Unfortunately, I needed to go a step further this time.

Next, I opened the skills section of the Alexa app.  I tapped on the "Your Skills" link in the upper right corner to bring up a list of my skills.  I entered "Hue" in the search box to avoid having to scroll through all of my activated skills, then tapped on "Hue."  Then I tapped on settings.  I checked to see if my account was still linked.  Then I tapped on "Manage Smart Home Devices," and it brought me to my "Smart Home Devices" tab.  I tapped on "Star," and saw Alexa app control had been restored.  I then tried toggling the lamp on and off via voice, and it worked. Next, I told Alexa to turn on Bertha.  Voice control was working again with all my Hue Bulbs.

If you go through these steps, but still are having Alexa Spotify control issues, you will need to try disabling and re-enabling the associated skill.  Go to the "Skills" section of the Alexa app. Tap on "My Skills," search for Hue, tap it, then tap "Disable Skill."  Close the app. Reopen the Alexa app, go back to skills, bring up the Hue Skill, and tap on "Enable Skill." You will need to relink Alexa with your Hue Account.  Then, re-run Device Discovery.


When it comes to Hue Lights, Alexa should beable to control them all, or she should be able to control none.  So if Alexa fails to turn on a single light via voice, try asking her to turn on a different Hue Light.  If she can turn on others, that indicates an issue with the specific Hue Bulb itself.  

If Alexa is only having issues with a single bulb, try toggling Alexa control on and off. To do so, go to the "Smart Home" section of the Alexa app. Find the bulb that is not responding and tap on its name.  Next, tap on "Edit."  You will see a slider at the bottom of this screen. It should read "Enabled." Tap the slider until it turns off and shows "Disabled." Tap it again to re-enable.  This may fix the connectivity issues with that single bulb.

Of course, you need to keep your Hue App up to date.  When Hue updates its app, it will also update the software for the individual bulbs.  If you open the Hue App and find it is not controlling your bulbs either, go to the Settings section (gear icon) and tap on Software Update. Updating your Hue software can fix connectivity issues with the Hue App. as well as with Alexa control.

If you've updated your Hue App and you are still having issues with that bulb, try deleting the bulb from within the Hue App, and then re-adding it.  Then re-run discovery on Alexa.  If nothing works, it may indicate you have an issue with that specific bulb.  If the bulb is still under warranty, contact Phillips.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does Having a Mish-Mash of Different Manufacturer Devices Matter at All?

  Because I am a Techie and a Reviewer, I have a mish-mash of Smart Devices from different manufacturers.  The downside to this is having at least a half-dozen different apps on my phone, with each manufacturer providing its own app.  I have to keep all of these apps to re-configure my devices, as needed, despite the fact I have control integrated through Alexa.  The cheaper the plug, the worse the app, and the generic plugs tend to require more background data than the name brands. In other words, the generic Smart Devices tend to be bandwidth hogs, which is a definite negative if your network is already strained. They also seem to have more connectivity issues, especially when it comes to remote control, (i.e. controlling from an outside Wi-Fi network.)  When I finally find a generic plug and control app that I can recommend, this blog's readers will be the first to hear.  In other words, if your network is already struggling, and you don't like tinkering, you may want to sti

Top 10 Reasons Your Site is Loading Slow

  Ever wonder why your website is slow to load? Here are 10 of the most common reasons for slow website loading times, and also tips on how to fix it. Don’t be slow! You might have heard that age-old adage which says “slow and steady wins the race”, but when it comes to the performance of your website, that certainly is a recipe for failure. Here are our Top 10 Reasons for Slow Loading Websites. 1. Unoptimized Images A large volume of unoptimized images is usually the most common reason behind website slowness. High-resolution images can consume lots of bandwidth while loading. Uploading larger sized images and then scaling them down can unnecessarily increase the size of your web page – causing your website to load slowly. The image format is another important factor to consider. For example, JPEG images are much smaller in size compared to other image formats like PNG or GIF. Quite naturally, your web page will load faster if you are using JPEG images instead of PNG/GIF. Takeaways: C

Every Alexa command you can give your Amazon Echo smart speaker

  From controlling Philips Hue smart lights to delivering coronavirus updates, Alexa brings a lot of talents to bear. Amazon's voice assistant, Alexa, is infiltrating your home, your beach trips and  even your ride to work . Now that there are many ways to interact with Alexa -- with the  Echo ,  Echo Dot ,  Echo Studio ,  Echo Look ,  Echo Show ,  Dash Wand ,  Echo Flex  and the Amazon Fire TV -- you might find yourself talking to her more often. The list of commands is expanding rapidly, as is the number of third-party services and devices that Alexa officially (and unofficially) supports. Here is the (almost) complete list of Amazon Alexa commands. DO MORE WITH ALEXA Get the best Amazon tips delivered to your inbox. It's FREE! Summoning Alexa By default, Amazon's connected speakers have the same wake word. All you have to do to queue up a request is say, "Alexa." In the Amazon Alexa mobile application or at echo.amazon.com, you can change the wake word to eith